Squash: World No.1 Ashour to make Swedish Open debut
London: Egypt`s reigning World No.1 Ramy Ashour is set to play his first ever match on Swedish soil when the 2014 Case Swedish Open gets underway in Linkoping in February.
The top-seeded 26-year-old from Cairo will make his Swedish debut against top-ranked German Simon Rosner in the 11th staging of the biggest PSA World Tour event in continental Europe at Linkoping Sporthall.
"It will be very exciting to play the Case Swedish Open since I have heard so many great things about this professional tournament and it will be the first time I play a tournament in Sweden," Ashour told the event`s website www.swedishopensquash.en Thursday.
Tournament director Fredrik Johnson, who launched the event in 2002, added: "The fact that we now have the world number one Ashour for the Case Swedish Open is probably the best thing that has happened so far to this world class event and it ensures that we again have a world event to look forward to here in Sweden."
France`s defending Swedish Open champion Gregory Gaultier, looking for a third successive title, is the event`s No.2 seed and faces a qualifier in the opening round.
England`s Nick Matthew, three times the champion from 2009-2011, is the No.3 seed - but will be bidding to make the final for a sixth successive time since 2004. The 33-year-old World Champion from Sheffield takes on England team-mate Tom Richards in the opening round - and is expected to line up against Gaultier in the semis, in a repeat of November`s PSA World Championship final.
Fourth seed Borja Golan, the World No.7, will also be making his Swedish Open debut. The highest-ranked Spaniard of all-time, who reached the first PSA World Series final of his career at this month`s Hong Kong Open, begins his campaign against a qualifier.
1st round draw:
 Ramy Ashour (EGY) v Simon Rosner (GER)
 Omar Mosaad (EGY) v [WC] Rasmus Hult (SWE)
 Amr Shabana (EGY) v Qualifier
 Borja Golan (ESP) v Qualifier
 Nick Matthew (ENG) v Tom Richards (ENG)
 Daryl Selby (ENG) v Qualifier
 Peter Barker (ENG) v Cameron Pilley (AUS)
 Gregory Gaultier (FRA) v Qualifier
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red