Sri Lanka drafts in ex-LTTE members in SAG shooting probables
Colombo: Sri Lanka has included three ex-LTTE marksmen as members of the national rifle shooters` pool for the South Asian Games to be held in New Delhi next year.
The three ex-LTTErs -- Kanakasuntharam Rajeewan, Thayabaran Thaventhiran and Sellamuttu Suresh Kumar -- are among 135 who are undergoing athletics training at the rehabilitation centres.
They received shooting rifles from Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage recently at the ministry.
"The Ministry of Sports hopes they can represent Sri Lanka at the South Asian Games (SAG) in New Delhi next year. Ex -LTTE members who have shown exceptional skill, on par with national level athletes have been selected for national squads," a Sport Ministry spokesman said.
"These athletes were chosen at talent identification camps held for former LTTE members undergoing rehabilitation," he added.
Nearly 11,000 LTTErs who had surrendered to government troops during the final battle in May 2009 were put through the process of rehabilitation where they were given life skills and English language training.
Most of them have been reintegrated in to civilian life, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone