Sri Lanka drafts in ex-LTTE members in SAG shooting probables
Colombo: Sri Lanka has included three ex-LTTE marksmen as members of the national rifle shooters` pool for the South Asian Games to be held in New Delhi next year.
The three ex-LTTErs -- Kanakasuntharam Rajeewan, Thayabaran Thaventhiran and Sellamuttu Suresh Kumar -- are among 135 who are undergoing athletics training at the rehabilitation centres.
They received shooting rifles from Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage recently at the ministry.
"The Ministry of Sports hopes they can represent Sri Lanka at the South Asian Games (SAG) in New Delhi next year. Ex -LTTE members who have shown exceptional skill, on par with national level athletes have been selected for national squads," a Sport Ministry spokesman said.
"These athletes were chosen at talent identification camps held for former LTTE members undergoing rehabilitation," he added.
Nearly 11,000 LTTErs who had surrendered to government troops during the final battle in May 2009 were put through the process of rehabilitation where they were given life skills and English language training.
Most of them have been reintegrated in to civilian life, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'