Srikanth upsets fourth seed; Anand makes first-round exit
New Delhi: Twenty-year-old K. Srikanth caused one of the biggest upsets of the India Open Super Series badminton by defeating Danish fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen while former national champion Chetan Anand made a first-round exit from men`s singles here on Wednesday.
Playing the Danish World No.6 for the second time, the unseeded Indian Srikanth took only 45 minutes to close the match 21-7, 18-21, 21-12 at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here. The Indian had earlier lost to the Dane in the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold in March, last month.
Veteran Anand`s campaign came to an end as he lost to Sourabh Verma 13-21, 8-21 in a little more than half an hour in men`s singles.
Meanwhile, Malaysian top seed Lee Chong Wei advanced to the second round by destroying Scott Evans of Ireland 21-16, 21-5 in 23 minutes in the USD 200,000 tier two tourney.
Mixed doubles pair V. Diju and Jwala Gutta moved into the second round by beating England`s Chris Langridge and Heather Olver 19-21, 21-15, 21-16 in 53 minutes. They will next face Thai fourth seeds Sudket Prapakamol and Saralee Thoungthongkam in the next round.
However, both Jwala and Diju lost their women`s and men`s doubles matches, respectively.
Japan`s Misato Aratama and Megumi Taruno beat Jwala and Prajakta Sawant 21-19, 21-10 while Diju and Alwin Francis` journey came to an end against Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda of Japan losing 18-21, 14-21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'