Stadia for Lusofonia Games to be ready by month-end: CM
Panaji: Goa government on Friday assured that the entire infrastructure for the Lusofonia Games (Portuguese Commonwealth Games), to be held in the state in January next year, would be in place by this month-end.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters on Friday that the construction work was progressing fast, though incessant rains this year delayed it a bit.
"But still we have finished all the works within deadline. Entire infrastructure is getting ready in eight months, which is laudable," Parrikar said in the presence of Lusofonia 2013 Chief Executive Officer Keshav Chandra.
The stadiums, existing and the new ones, would be ready by the end of this month, while some finishing touches would be left which can be done later, he said.
The Games, earlier scheduled for November this year, were postponed to January next as the infrastructure was not ready.
Parrikar blamed the previous Congress-led state government, saying that the work started only when his government took over in March last year.
"Around 82 crore which were sanctioned for the infrastructure were diverted to other purpose by the earlier government," he said, adding his government had budgeted Rs 110 crore for the infrastructure, while the actual need was Rs 270 crore.
"We had a shortfall of Rs 160 crore of which Rs 150 crore has been loaned from state-run Economic Development Corporation that would be repaid over a period of time by the state government," he said.
The same infrastructure would be later used for National Games, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!