Stadium closure won`t affect Olympic preparations: Rio mayor
Rio de Janeiro: Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes has denied the closure of the city`s Olympic athletics stadium will affect preparations for the 2016 Games.
The reassurance came a day after the Engenhao Stadium was shut after an engineer`s appraisal showed the venue`s roof could collapse due to structural problems.
"We already have a lot of responsibilities ahead of the Olympics but luckily we are within the expected time frame and can handle the situation," Paes was quoted as saying.
"It (the appraisal) says there is a risk. Our priority here is to protect the lives of the people, that`s why we closed it."
The Engenhao Stadium, built for the 2007 Pan-American Games, is set to have its capacity increased from 47,000 to 60,000 to host track and field events at the Rio Olympics.
The iconic Maracana stadium, currently in the final phase of major renovation work, will host the Games` opening and closing ceremonies as well as the Olympic and Paralympic football tournaments.
Consorcio Engenhao, the building consortium responsible for the project, says it is collaborating with the local government to find a quick solution.
The closure is the latest in a series of stadium setbacks to affect Brazil`s preparations for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Only two of the country`s six Confederations Cup venues are ready, despite having initially been given a December 2012 construction deadline by world football`s governing body FIFA.
The Confederations Cup, which will be held from June 15-30, is considered a dry run for the World Cup a year later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks