State governments announce decent rewards for hockey team
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Stirred by the eye opening refusal of the Indian hockey team to accept the peanut reward of Rs 25,000 by Hockey India, a number of state governments announced better cash sops for the Asian Champions Trophy winning outfit.
Punjab took the lead in awarding the dues to the national sport players as Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal announced a cash reward of Rs 25 lakh for the team.
Maharashtra government also took the cue and declared a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh for the poverty stricken player Yuvraj Valmiki.
Meanwhile, Sports Minister took the battle to Hockey India claiming that the government had liquidated enough funds for the national sport. He wrote on Twitter, “Govt. spent 7.81cr on Hockey Team in last 6 months alone! 5.97cr- National Coaching camps,1.75cr Foreign Visits,8.75 lakh on foreign experts.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31