Stockholm drops 2022 Winter Games bid
Stockholm: The Swedish capital Stockholm is dropping its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, the mayor said Friday.
"It is always nicer to say yes than no, but it is in our mandate to make tough decisions," the centre-right mayor Sten Nordin from the Moderate Party told a Swedish news agency.
"This isn`t a `no` to other Winter Olympics in the future."
The project had already been rejected by two of the Moderates` coalition partners, the Liberals and the Christian Democrats.
"Bidding for the Olympics in the current situation would entail too much speculation with taxpayers` money," Christian Democrat leaders Ewa Samuelsson and Erik Slottner said in a statement.
The Swedish Olympic Committee had submitted an application with a preliminary bid to the International Olympic Committee last November.
The preliminary bid was greeted with scepticism by the country`s centre-right government.
"I think it`s good to host big events but we`re doubtful about the budget they`ve presented," sports minister Lena Adelsohn told a Swedish daily.
Located on low-lying land far from the mountains, the capital city planned to co-host events with Aare ski resort, about 300 miles (500 km) to the north west.
The host city will be elected at the 127th International Olympic Committee`s (IOC) session in Kuala Lumpur on July 31, 2015.
The other candidate cities are Oslo, Beijing, Krakow (with events held in other Polish locations and in neighbouring Slovakia), Lviv (Ukraine) and Almaty (Kazakhstan).
Sweden has only been an Olympic host nation once, hosting the 1912 Summer Olympics in Stockholm.
"We note that those who took the decision made it absolutely clear that this was not a `no` to any future bid," said an IOC spokesman.
"Indeed, we understand they remain strongly interested in staging the Games and are considering bidding again perhaps with a stronger bid for 2026."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason