Study predicts record medal haul for Britain at Winter Olympics
LONDON: Britain are traditionally also-rans at the Winter Olympics but a statistical study has predicted the team will win a record-breaking six medals at the Sochi Games next month.
Infostrada Sports, who conducted the study, believe Team GB will have their greatest Winter Olympics by scooping one gold medal, two silvers and three bronzes.
That would eclipse the one medal won at each of the previous two Games in Vancouver and Turin and surpass Britain`s best effort in Chamonix in 1924 when they finished with a total of four.
The study, based on recent results and form, estimates that Lizzy Yarnold and Shelley Rudman will take gold and silver in the skeleton event.
The company also said on its website (www.infostradasports.com) there would be a curling silver for the women and a bronze for the men while freestyle skier James Woods and speed skater Elise Christie would both win a bronze.
Yarnold goes to Sochi on the back of three World Cup victories and five podium finishes this season.
"Going from one podium to the next race-by-race is a confidence boost every time," she told BBC radio recently.
"All the experience I gain - each race, each week and each session - plays a massive part in my future success."
UK Sport will next week announce its medal targets for Sochi.
Infostrada were eerily accurate when they predicted 64 medals for Team GB in the 2012 London Summer Olympics - the team won 65.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey