Suranjoy Singh plans comeback in WSB
New Delhi: Still nursing the hurt of missing out on the Olympics, a fit-again Suranjoy Singh (51kg) could return to action in the World Series of Boxing this year after recovering from a knee injury that played a major role in his absence from the London Games.
"My movement which had been severely hampered because of the injury is now improving and I am in talks with the Indian franchise of the World Series of Boxing to work out my comeback," Suranjoy, who created quite a sensation by winning eight successive gold medals between 2010 and 2011, said.
"Not being able to make the Olympics hurts a lot but there is no option but to move ahead," he said.
If he competes in the WSB, Suranjoy would be competing in the 54kg division.
One of the most successful boxers from India in international events, Suranjoy missed out on London after failing to make the cut in the qualifying tournaments and the nagging knee problem, which had to be operated upon in May, had a big role to play in his absence from the sporting extravaganza.
A second-class employee in the Indian Navy, Suranjoy has been promoted just once in his career despite being a Commonwealth Games and Commonwealth Championships gold-medallist and an Asian champion.
The 26-year-old has already started a boxing academy in Manipur to groom talent and plans to go full-time into coaching after he hangs up his gloves after next year`s World Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert