Suranjoy Singh plans comeback in WSB
New Delhi: Still nursing the hurt of missing out on the Olympics, a fit-again Suranjoy Singh (51kg) could return to action in the World Series of Boxing this year after recovering from a knee injury that played a major role in his absence from the London Games.
"My movement which had been severely hampered because of the injury is now improving and I am in talks with the Indian franchise of the World Series of Boxing to work out my comeback," Suranjoy, who created quite a sensation by winning eight successive gold medals between 2010 and 2011, said.
"Not being able to make the Olympics hurts a lot but there is no option but to move ahead," he said.
If he competes in the WSB, Suranjoy would be competing in the 54kg division.
One of the most successful boxers from India in international events, Suranjoy missed out on London after failing to make the cut in the qualifying tournaments and the nagging knee problem, which had to be operated upon in May, had a big role to play in his absence from the sporting extravaganza.
A second-class employee in the Indian Navy, Suranjoy has been promoted just once in his career despite being a Commonwealth Games and Commonwealth Championships gold-medallist and an Asian champion.
The 26-year-old has already started a boxing academy in Manipur to groom talent and plans to go full-time into coaching after he hangs up his gloves after next year`s World Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM