Suranjoy stuns Olympic medallist, enters President`s Cup semis
Baku (Azerbaijan): Asian champion Suranjoy
Singh (51kg) humbled Olympic bronze medallist Vincenzo Picardi
in the quarterfinals to assure himself of a medal in the
season-ending President`s Cup Boxing tournament here today.
Representing the Asia One team, the Indian won 6-4 in his
opening bout and will now take on Mexico`s Braulio Avila, who
is competing for Americas Two team, in the semifinal tomorrow.
In a bout he dominated from the start, Suranjoy unsettled
his Italian opponent with his very first blow and led 4-1 at
the end of the first three minutes.
"I didn`t even know that he is an Olympic bronze
medallist. I was just focussed on keeping my cool because a
lot of time in the past, I have lost because of my temper. I
just tried to stay calm in the ring and that approach worked
very well," the 22-year-old Suranjoy told.
Suranjoy adopted a guarded approach in the second round
and with his rock-solid guard and swift movement the Indian
denied his rival any chance to come back in the bout.
"Suranjoy fought aggressively in the first round. Slowed
down a bit in the second round but his defence was solid and
he didn`t let the other guy come too close to him," said
national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu.
Avila tried hard to claw back in the final three minutes
but Suranjoy weathered the late onslaught to come out trumps.
Suranjoy is the lone Indian left in fray in the
inter-continental event after Thokchom Nanao Singh bowed out
with a first-round defeat yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video