Sushil aims for elusive Asian Games medal
New Delhi: An Asian Games medal has been the only feat that has eluded star wrestler Sushil Kumar so far and he has now set his sights at finishing on the podium in the Incheon Games later this year.
Sushil has won medals in Olympics, World Championships, Commonwealth Games and Asian Championships but is still without a podium finish at the Asian Games. He missed the last Asiad in 2010 in Guangzhou due to injury.
"I have won medals in all the major events, be it the Olympics, World Championships and Commonwealth Games. Only an Asian Games medal is left for me. So I want to win a medal in Incheon. I hope I can win a gold there," he said on the sidelines of the 2014 Incheon Asian Games Roadshow here.
Sushil, who won a bronze and a silver in 66kg freestyle in 2008 and 2012 Olympics respectively, said that his preparations for Glasgow Commonwealth Games (July-August) and Incheon Asian Games (September-October) has been going on well despite having to shift to higher weight categories due to change in rules.
"My preparation has been going on well though it`s not easy to shift weight category. My body may be affected because I have to fight in two different weight categories in Glasgow and Incheon. But that`s part and parcel of a sportsman`s career. I think I will be able to cope with that," said Sushil, who was today made Incheon Asian Games Goodwill Ambassador along with archer Deepika Kumari.
Due to change in rules by FILA and to accommodate fellow 2012 Olympics medallist Yogeshwar Dutt, Sushil will now contest in 74kg category in Glasgow and 70kg in Incheon.
He had not taken part in any event after the 2012 London Olympics but Suhsil said two competitive tournaments and a training stint abroad should suffice to get himself to top form.
"I think one foreign training stint and two tournaments should suffice. The federation will decide in a few days the training and competition schedule of the wrestlers for the CWG and the Asian Games."
"There is going to be a training camp for one month in USA but we have yet to know the dates. If I peaked early say in 15 days, my coach may recommend to go for a competition. Let`s us see," he said.
Sushil felt the sports scenario in the country has been
changing in the past few years with Indians beginning to win medals in top events, including the Olympics.
"I feel Olympic sports are spreading at every villages of the country. We have been doing well in the Olympics, winning medals. So India has grown in sports."
Former world number one archer Deepika Kumari also wants to grab her maiden Asian Games gold in Incheon though she said it won`t be easy to achieve that.
"The competition will be tough in Incheon no doubt as the South Koreans will be real tough there.
But it`s about your mental strength and performance on the day that matters. So I am hoping that I can win a gold in Incheon," said Deepika who won gold in the World Cup Stage 3 and 4 last year.
Deepika won a gold each in individual recurve and team recurve in the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games but archery has been taken off the 2014 and 2018 CWG.
Deepika rued she and her team-mates badly needed a psychologist for mental conditioning but has not got one for a long time.
"We have expressed our desire to have a psychologist for the team bur somehow we have not got it. May be the federation may not have got a suitable person for the job."
The Indian archers have been training under a South Korean coach for some time but Deepika does not feel that it could be a deciding factor in Incheon.
"It`s not going to be a crucial factor. There has been consistent pressure to perform on me after winning the gold in 2010 Delhi CWG. So I am now focusing on how to remain relaxed under pressure," she said.
The current world number three also said that she would want to regain the top spot.
"The World Cup is starting (with the Stage 1 in China next month). World Cup carries ranking points. So I want to do well in the World Cups and I want to regain world number one."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes