Sushil Kumar honoured with gold medal in Chandni Chowk
New Delhi: He might have had to settle with a silver in the London Olympics, but star Indian wrestler Sushil Kumar was feted with a gold medal at a felicitation function in Chandni Chowk here.
Also honoured at the function was his coach Satpal Singh.
Sushil was given a gold medal, two garlands made of currency notes amounting to Rs 51,000 each and 50kg almonds by Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee president J P Aggarwal and powerlifter Gaurav Sharma here last night.
Satpal and Wrestling Federation of India`s Secretary General Raj Singh, who was present at the event, were also honoured with Rs 11,000 worth garland and gift hampers.
"I have always been given a lot of honour here at Chandni Chowk. This is a unique way to felicitate me," Sushil said.
"I hope to do well in the next Olympics in 2016. Whenever I go for a big tournament, I come here at the Narsingh temple for blessings. I came here before going to the Olympics also," he said.
Satpal and Raj Singh congratulated the grappler, who won the silver medal at the Olympics in the 66kg freestyle event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand