Sushil Kumar likely to miss World Wrestling Championship
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
New Delhi: Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar will most likely miss the upcoming World Wrestling Championships to be held in Hungary from September 16 to 22.
Yogeshwar Dutt, another Olympic bronze medalist, too has opted out of the tournament because of a knee injury.
"Right now, we can`t say anything about Sushil`s participation in the world championships. But he is totally fit and training well. The final decision on his participation will be taken only after analysing his performance during the camp in Hungary," chief coach Vinod Kumar told a leading daily.
"Sushil already has a world title in his kitty, so our main focus is the longevity of his career. Accordingly, we will pick the tournaments for him," he added.
Sushil has been out of competition since 2012 games but keeping in mind the next year schedule, the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) will consider his name to attend the coaching camp to be held in Hungary to prepare for the world meet.
The WWI will hold trials in Sonepat on August 13 and forward two names in each weight category for the coaching camp. In the 66 kg division, Sushil Kumar and Amit Dhankar will be considered and it will be Dhankar who will compete in Budapest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you