Sushil Kumar slams IOC’s decision, says wrestling is a popular sport
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: A day after the International Olympic Committee dropped wrestling from 2020 Games, ace Indian wrestler Sushil Kumar came in defense of the sport saying the event is extremely popular all over the world and to say that it doesn’t generate TV ratings is wrong.
Speaking exclusively to Zeenews on Wednesday, Sushil Kumar said, “There were no tickets available to watch wrestling at the London Olympics. When we were training in USA, Obama himself came to watch us. So it is wrong to say that wrestling isn’t a popular sport.”
Sushil, who became the first Indian sportsperson to win back-to-back individual Olympic medals, further said that the decision is a major blow for the upcoming wrestlers who had been preparing hard for the 2020 Olympics.
“It will directly affect the wrestlers who were preparing for 2020 Olympics as now they can’t see any target,” he said.
Sushil’s coach Mahabali Satpal joined the debate and said that the upcoming Indian wrestlers were all charged up after a successful 2012 London Olympics and thus the decision will affect them.
“After the London Olympics, Indian wrestlers were brimming with a lot of passion and enthusiasm and now it is hard to believe this decision. During Sushil’s bout there was a curfew kind of situation all over India. So it is wrong to say that it isn’t popular,” he said.
“Indian wrestlers were winning medals in wrestling. We were confident of winning 6-7 medals at Brazil Olympics. Thus it is a major setback for the upcoming wrestlers as Sushil, Yogeshwar had set high standards for them,” he added.
Sushil said that he still cannot believe that the decision to drop wrestling, which has been a part of the Olympics since 1896, will be implemented.
“I don’t think it will be implemented. You can go anywhere in the world and you’ll find people involved in wrestling. I still cannot believe that anything like this can take place,”
The champion wrestler concluded by saying that the concerned officials should create some pressure as the decision will majorly affect India.
“The officials will do that. As I told you Obama himself came which shows how popular a sport it is. It will majorly affect India and thus our officials must pressurize,” Sushil said.
The International Olympic Committee leaders dropped wrestling for the 2020 Games in a surprise decision to scrap one of the oldest sports on the Olympic program.
The IOC executive board decided on Tuesday to retain modern pentathlon -- the event considered most at risk -- and remove wrestling instead from its list of core sports.
The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced