Sushil, Shiny Wilson to grace Vasai-Virar Mayor`s Marathon
Mumbai: India`s lone individual back-to-back Olympic medallist, wrestler Sushil Kumar, has been named as the ambassador of the 2nd Vasai-Virar Mayor`s Marathon to be held on October 14.
The race is being organised by the Vasai-Virar City Municipal Corporation.
Sushil, who added a silver medal at the London Olympics to his bronze medal at Beijing Olympics four years ago, would be present on the occasion to encourage the 10,000 plus runners taking part in the various age categories, a media release said on Wednesday.
Greeting the runners alongside Sushil would be former 800m women`s national champion and Olympian Shiny Wilson, who was the flag bearer of the country`s contingent at the 1992 Barcelona Games.
Shiny would lend support to the motto of the marathon which is "Save the girl child and maintain nature`s balance", the release said.
Most of the leading Indian long distance runners have confirmed their participation for the full and half marathons, which will offer total prize money of around Rs 20 lakh, with the full marathon winner taking home Rs 2 lakh and the half marathon winners getting Rs 1 lakh each.
Also participating in the marathon would be former national swimmer turned model, Milind Soman.
Full marathon will be held only for men, while half marathon will be held in both men and women categories.
There is also a veteran (above 50 category) in the full marathon for men and half marathons for men and women.
Age group events will be held for boys under-20 (11km), boys under-17 (7km), girls under-17 (5km), boys under-14 (5km), girls under-14 (3km) and men and women above-60 (3km).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened