Sushil, Yogeshwar to skip Asian championship
New Delhi: Indian fans would be deprived of watching their Olympic medal winning grapplers Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt in action at the upcoming Senior Asian Wrestling Championship as the two have not yet recovered from their respective injuries.
Amit Dhankar (66kg) and Bajrang (60kg), who were named as reserves, will replace Suhil and Yogeshwar for the championship, starting from April 18, here.
"Both Sushil and Yogeshwar are nursing their injuries. During the trials last month, they had said that they will be fit for the completion. But we can`t force them to participate.
They are consulting their doctors and will hopefully return to the arena soon," Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president, Brij Bhushan Singh said.
"Events such as this are a test for the new crop of wrestlers. It gives them an opportunity to perform. And that too in front of their home crowd," Bhushan added.
In the championship, more than 225 wrestlers from 19 countries will be competing in the three disciplines - Freestyle, Greco-Roman and Female in the five-day event.
Asian powerhouses such as China, Japan and Kazakhstan, besides hosts will be fielding wrestlers in every weight category at the K D Jadhav Wrestling Stadium.
The Pakistan team was also invited by the organisers for the continental championship, but its federation did not send any representation.
"We had sent an invite and also spoke to the Pakistani federation. They cited lack of funds as the reason for not sending entries. We would have wanted them to participate as well," Managing chairman of the Asian championship, G S Mandher said.
The entry for the general public will be through complimentary tickets which would be available at the WFI`s offices besides the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip