Sushila Chanu to lead India in Jr. Women`s Hockey World Cup
New Delhi: Defender Sushila Chanu will lead an 18-member Indian team in the FIH Junior Women`s World Cup to be played at Monchengladbach, Germany from July 27 to August 4.
Hockey India selectors B P Govinda, Savitri Purty, chief coach of senior women`s team Neil Hawgood, junior women`s coach Narinder Saini and scientific Advisor Matt Tredrea along with Government Observer Harbinder Singh selected the squad and nine standby players on the basis of their recent performance during the Scotland tour, senior women team`s Europe tour, FIH World League Round 3 in Rotterdam and fitness in the preparatory camps.
It was a challenging task for selectors to pick up the best 18 out of the existing 46 eligible players, a HI statement said.
Striker Rani has been named as the vice-captain of the team.
India is placed in Pool C along with New Zealand, Australia and Russia.
India will play their opening match against Australia on July 27 followed by games against New Zealand on July 28 and Russia on July 30.
All the matches will be played at the two pitches of the Warsteiner Hockey Park in Monchengladbach, Germany.
The team is presently undergoing a preparatory camp, which started on May 22 at NIS, Patiala.
As part of their preparations, the Indian junior eves played five matches against Scotland from May 1-11.
Out of the total five matches played in Scotland, India won four matches against the Scottish U-21 side and lost one match against the senior team.
The Indian team will depart for Germany on July 15 and will be playing four warm-up games ahead of their World Cup campaign. India will play their first warm-up game against Belgium on July 17 followed by matches against The Netherlands (July 19), South Africa (July 21 and July 24).
Goalkeepers: Sanarik Chanu, Bigan Soy.
Defenders: Pinky Devi, Deep Grace Ekka, Namita Toppo, Manjit Kaur, M N Poonamma, Sushila Chanu (captain), Monika.
Mid-fielders: Lily Chanu, Lilima Minz, Navjot Kaur, Vandana Kataria, Ritusha Arya.
Forwards: Poonam Rani, Rani (vice-captain), Anupa Barla, Navneet Kaur.
Standby`s: Sukhmani Virk (goalkeeper), Manmeet Kaur (defender), Kiran Dahiya (defender), Sushila Lakra (defender), Renuka Yadav (mid-fielder), Nikki Pradhan (mid-fielder), Jaswinder Kaur (forward), Neha Goyal (forward), Punam Barla (forward).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’