Suspecting dope, WFI withdraws 6 medallists from jr Ch`ship
New Delhi: Taking a tough stand against suspected dope offenders, the Wrestling Federation of India has withdrawn the names of at least six medal winners at the just concluded Junior National Wrestling Championship after they failed to provide samples for tests.
Rahul Pal (84kg in Greco Roman), Amit (74kg in Greco Roman), Sandeep (60kg in Greco Roman), Sunil Kumar (120kg in Greco Roman), Anoop ((84kg in Free Style) and Manjeet (84kg in Free Style) avoided giving their samples for tests to NADA.
Rahul hails from Madhya Pradesh, Amit from Delhi, Sandeep and Sunil from Chandigarh while Anoop and Manjeet represented Haryana in the championship.
Apart from the medal winners, several other wrestlers also did not give their samples.
"It was most unfortunate that the medal winner wrestlers also avoided to give samples and immediately rushed from the competition venue. After having discussion with President, WFI, it has been decided to withdraw the medals and certificates of the winning wrestlers," a WFI release said.
"The case of these wrestlers will be forwarded to the Disciplinary Committee of WFI for necessary enquiry. After completion of the enquiry the WFI will take a final decision," the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport