Sweden defeat Canada for World Curling title
Victoria (Canada): Sweden has become the first country to win the World and European men`s curling championships in the same season after defeating Canada 8-6 in the final.
In front of the Victoria, British Columbia, crowd, Niklas Edin`s team denied the Canadians a fourth straight title and earned Sweden`s first World triumph since 2004.
"It`s been a wonderful week," Edin said on the tournament website Sunday. "The final we played here, it was almost perfect. We executed our plan perfectly, and I`m so proud of my team."
Sweden was in control throughout, taking two off the first end and going 4-1 up in the third.
The world championships are the last edition of the tournament before the Winter Olympics in Sochi in February 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends