Swiss Open: P Kashyap, Anand Pawar enter second round, Srikanth out
Basel: Top Indian shuttlers Parupalli Kashyap and Anand Pawar reached the second round of the men`s singles competition with straight game victories but it was curtains for young Kidambi Srikanth in the USD 125,000 Swiss Grand Prix Gold tournament here.
Commonwealth Games bronze medallist, Kashyap prevailed over The Netherlands`s Erik Meijs 21-17 21-15 in a match that last 34 minutes. The third seed Indian will next take on German Lukas Schmidt in the next round.
Anand too didn`t break much sweat before getting across Malaysia`s Kok Pong Loke 21-17 21-10 in a 26-minute match last night to set up a meeting with another German Tobias Wadenka.
However, Thailand Grand Prix Gold winner, Srikanth, seeded fifth, could not reach the next stage after his gallant fight against Sweden`s Henri Hurskainen ended with a close 21-19 18-21 17-21 defeat in the opening round.
World number 18 Kashyap lead 6-3 early on but he lost the lead and was 9-11 down but he raised his game in time and pocketed the first game. The second game was a more comfortable ride as Kashyap jumped from 5-4 to 10-4 and didn`t give any chance to his opponent and closed the door on Erik.
London Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal, world championship bronze winner P V Sindhu, young Saili Rane, Commonwealth Games gold medallist combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa and mixed doubles pair of Tarun Kona and Ashwini, will start their campaign today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes