Tainted Kalmadi to seek re-election as AAA President
Pune: Tainted in the Commonwealth Games scam he might be, but a defiant Suresh Kalmadi will seek a re-election to the post of Asian Athletic Association`s President for a third successive term.
Kalmadi, who is out on bail after being in jail for 10 months in the CWG scam case, will contest against senior vice-president of AAA, Brig Dahlan Jumaan Al-Hamad, in the elections to be held on July 1 here.
Kalmadi, who has been President of the AAA since 2000, will battle it out for a third term after being elected unopposed in the previous two polls.
"He is seeking re-election and is confident of winning the poll on the back of several new initiatives in Asian Athletics in the last 13 years," an Athletics Federation of India source said.
"Before 2000, there were only two competitions in Asia -- Asian Junior and Senior Championships -- but now we have a host of events in a calender year like the Asian Grand Prix, Asian All Star and the Asian Youth Championships. We are hoping to get majority vote out of the 45 member countries and associations," he added.
His challenger, Al Hamad, is one of three vice-presidents in the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) along with Sebastian Coe and Sergey Bubka.
Kalmadi was arrested in January 2012 under Sections 120 B and 420 (criminal conspiracy and cheating) of the Indian Penal Code for his alleged role in the Commonwealth Games Time Scoring Equipment scam.
In the July 1 election, to be conducted under the aegis of IAAF two days before the Asian Championships, each country will get one vote.
Al Hamad is likely to get some votes from 12 Arab countries but Kalmadi is likely to get support from South Asia and East Asia.
Last month, Hamad had said that he wants more reforms and sponsorship in Asian athletics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!