Tainted Kalmadi to seek re-election as AAA President
Pune: Tainted in the Commonwealth Games scam he might be, but a defiant Suresh Kalmadi will seek a re-election to the post of Asian Athletic Association`s President for a third successive term.
Kalmadi, who is out on bail after being in jail for 10 months in the CWG scam case, will contest against senior vice-president of AAA, Brig Dahlan Jumaan Al-Hamad, in the elections to be held on July 1 here.
Kalmadi, who has been President of the AAA since 2000, will battle it out for a third term after being elected unopposed in the previous two polls.
"He is seeking re-election and is confident of winning the poll on the back of several new initiatives in Asian Athletics in the last 13 years," an Athletics Federation of India source said.
"Before 2000, there were only two competitions in Asia -- Asian Junior and Senior Championships -- but now we have a host of events in a calender year like the Asian Grand Prix, Asian All Star and the Asian Youth Championships. We are hoping to get majority vote out of the 45 member countries and associations," he added.
His challenger, Al Hamad, is one of three vice-presidents in the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) along with Sebastian Coe and Sergey Bubka.
Kalmadi was arrested in January 2012 under Sections 120 B and 420 (criminal conspiracy and cheating) of the Indian Penal Code for his alleged role in the Commonwealth Games Time Scoring Equipment scam.
In the July 1 election, to be conducted under the aegis of IAAF two days before the Asian Championships, each country will get one vote.
Al Hamad is likely to get some votes from 12 Arab countries but Kalmadi is likely to get support from South Asia and East Asia.
Last month, Hamad had said that he wants more reforms and sponsorship in Asian athletics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17