Take me as example and don`t give up: Mary Kom
Kolkata: Her story is well-documented by now and London Olympics bronze medallist M C Mary Kom on Thursday, citing her example, encouraged the country`s pugilists to stand up to the challenge.
"If I, being a mother of two, can win a medal, so can you all. Take me as an example and don`t give up," Mary Kom said.
The boxer said her aspirations would end only after winning a gold in the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
"I am happy because everyone in the country is happy over my winning a bronze medal at the London Olympics, but inside me I have an unquenchable thirst as I believe I can do better," the 29-year-old told reporters here.
The mother of two hinted that she would soon start preparations for the next Games.
"It will not be difficult for me if I get an opportunity to compete in the 48 kg category. But if I am to fight in 51 kg, then my preparation will start right now," the boxer, also known as Magnificent Mary, said.
The five-time world champion said her recent success has not changed her life.
"Life is just that way. Now people recognise me, love me and support me. But Mary Kom has not changed. She is the same," she said.
She also urged the sports administration to give the northeastern states more attention.
"I asked them to visit our centres and see what our requirements are. If they give what we want then I`ll be grateful," she said.
She also has plans to upgrade her boxing school in Imphal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco