Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa announces Rs. 2 crore reward for Viswanathan Anand
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today announced Rs 2 crore reward for Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for winning the World Chess Championship crown for a fifth time.
In recognition of his achievement in retaining the World Chess Championship crown, "Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa is pleased to honour him by sanctioning a cash reward of Rs. Two crores," a state government release said tonight.
Anand defeated challenger Boris Gelfand of Israel in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Championship crown for the fourth time in a row in Moscow on May 30.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday hailed Anand`s feat, saying he had brought laurels both to Tamil Nadu, his home state, and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi