Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa announces Rs. 2 crore reward for Viswanathan Anand
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today announced Rs 2 crore reward for Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for winning the World Chess Championship crown for a fifth time.
In recognition of his achievement in retaining the World Chess Championship crown, "Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa is pleased to honour him by sanctioning a cash reward of Rs. Two crores," a state government release said tonight.
Anand defeated challenger Boris Gelfand of Israel in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Championship crown for the fourth time in a row in Moscow on May 30.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday hailed Anand`s feat, saying he had brought laurels both to Tamil Nadu, his home state, and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you