Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa announces Rs. 2 crore reward for Viswanathan Anand
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today announced Rs 2 crore reward for Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand for winning the World Chess Championship crown for a fifth time.
In recognition of his achievement in retaining the World Chess Championship crown, "Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa is pleased to honour him by sanctioning a cash reward of Rs. Two crores," a state government release said tonight.
Anand defeated challenger Boris Gelfand of Israel in a tense rapid chess tie-breaker to win the World Championship crown for the fourth time in a row in Moscow on May 30.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday hailed Anand`s feat, saying he had brought laurels both to Tamil Nadu, his home state, and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country