Tamil Nadu CM presents cash rewards to CWG medallists
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Monday honoured Glasgow Commonwealth Games medalists from the state with cash rewards.
Jayalalithaa presented cheques for Rs 50 lakh each to gold medallists Sathiskumar Sivalingam (weightlifting), Joshana Chinnappa and Dipika Pallikal (both squash), at the Secretariat here, an official release said.
Sivalingam hailing from Vellore won the men`s 77 kg weightlifting title, while Pallikal and Chinnappa won the women`s doubles crown for India`s first ever squash medal at the Commonwealth Games.
She also presented cash awards of Rs 30 lakh each, to Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj, who won silver in men`s doubles table tennis event, and Rupinder Pal Singh and Srijeesh Raveendran, who were part of the silver winning men`s hockey team.
While congratulating the winners, Jayalalithaa said, "you have brought glory and pride for the state of Tamil Nadu and for the country. I wish you all greater and greater success".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO