Tamil Nadu CM presents cash rewards to CWG medallists
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Monday honoured Glasgow Commonwealth Games medalists from the state with cash rewards.
Jayalalithaa presented cheques for Rs 50 lakh each to gold medallists Sathiskumar Sivalingam (weightlifting), Joshana Chinnappa and Dipika Pallikal (both squash), at the Secretariat here, an official release said.
Sivalingam hailing from Vellore won the men`s 77 kg weightlifting title, while Pallikal and Chinnappa won the women`s doubles crown for India`s first ever squash medal at the Commonwealth Games.
She also presented cash awards of Rs 30 lakh each, to Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj, who won silver in men`s doubles table tennis event, and Rupinder Pal Singh and Srijeesh Raveendran, who were part of the silver winning men`s hockey team.
While congratulating the winners, Jayalalithaa said, "you have brought glory and pride for the state of Tamil Nadu and for the country. I wish you all greater and greater success".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray