Targeting top-8 finish in hockey World Cup: Coach Walsh
New Delhi: Indian hockey chief coach Terry Walsh is aiming for a top-8 finish at the upcoming FIH World Cup to be played in The Hague from May 31 to June 15.
“Our first target is to set realistic goals for the World Cup and it is to be in the top-8. Going further from there will definitely be a bonus. The team is looking forward to converting the chances and score. In the practice sessions we are focusing on each area which will finally help in smashing the ball hard during the World Cup," said Walsh after the team`s practice session here Thursday.
The World Cup list of probables are currently undergoing a preparatory camp at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
"The second target is to believe in one`s self -- an important element to perform as per expectations and the team is gradually building in this area. We are giving great emphasis on our defence as that will be the core to win the matches. We are satisfied with the ongoing sessions and the players are excited for the World Cup which is evident in the training sessions."
Captain Sardar Singh said the team is totally focussed on the World Cup and trying their best to improve the levels of performance.
“Our complete focus is on the World Cup. We are practising hard to improve our game and want to raise the basic level of performance. The coach has introduced new techniques that will help us further. Right from the basic learning of using the stick technically to the positioning of the players, we are working on every aspect," said Sardar.
"Self-belief is really important for the upcoming matches as it will help us to perform better. The involvement of the midfielder and scoring is equally important. Each player should be careful about their position and the goal opportunities. Our coach is supportive and he keeps guiding in every manner possible.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi