Tarundeep makes a comeback for Archery World Cup
Kolkata: Asian Games silver medallist Tarundeep Rai has made a comeback to the India team almost after a year as the Sikkim archer was picked for the men`s recurve team for the remaining two stages of the Archery World Cup.
Tarundeep last played for India at the 2012 London Olympics as he made his way into the side after finishing second at the third National Ranking Archery Tournament which was held at the DDA Yamuna Sports Complex, Delhi (June 21-23).
Excited about his return, the double Olympian Tarundeep is eyeing the next year`s Asian Games to be held in Incheon.
"By God`s grace, I`m back into the side. Hopefully, I continue this form till the end of this season as we have the all-important Asian Games," Tarundeep, who had won a silver at the Guangzhou Asiad in 2010 said.
29-year-old Tarundeep is incidentally the first Indian to win an individual men`s silver medal in archery at the Asian Games.
There was another surprise in the men`s team as Priyank of ITBP also made to the India side four years after he competed in the World Cup 2008.
The duo made the cut at the expense of Rahul Banerjee and Rajib Basumatary who were part of the first two stages of the World Cup.
The third Stage World Cup will be held at Medellin (Columbia) from July 13-22 while the fourth Stage would be held at Wroclow (Poland) from August 17-26.
The Archery Association of India also named junior archers for the second Asian Grand Prix Archery Championship to be held in Ullanbaatar (Mongolia) from July 26-August 2.
Men`s recurve: Tarundeep Rai, Atanu Das, Priyank, Jayanta Talukdar; Women`s recurve: Rimil Biriuly, Deepika Kumari, Dola Banerjee, Laishram Bombayla Devi; Boys recurve: Binod Swansi, Swmla Boro, Mukesh Tamang, Akhil Choudhary; Girls recurve: Dipali Boro, Padyawati Sardar, A Ravali, Sumita Kumari.
Men`s compound: Rajat Chouhan, Abhishek Sharma, Sandeep Kumar, Kh Ratan Singh; Women`s compound: V Jyothi Surekha, Manjudha Soy, Trisha Deb, P Lily Chanu; Boys compound: Y Charan Reddy, Ramakanta Sharma, Angrej Singh, Ravi Sharma.
Girls compound: Madhumita Kumari, Sorang Yumi, Swati Dudhwal, Maselo Mihu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH