Taylor, Cancan triumph in World Boxing Championships
Qinhuangdao: Irish star boxer Katie Taylor and China`s Ren Cancan won titles in the 60 and 51 kg category at the World Championships here Saturday.
The 25-year-old Taylor clashed with Russian fighter Sofya Ochigava, who had eliminated Chinese hope Dong Cheng earlier in the competition.
Taylor and Ochigava had a tough fight in the first two rounds. Neither side was able to make a decisive lead with the bout tied at 4-4.
Taylor found back her form in the third period. Her quick move and powerful hits exhausted Ochigava. The Russian boxer lost her pace and was outscored by her opponent 11-7.
It was Taylor`s fourth world title after the 2006, 2008 and 2010 triumphs.
Local star Ren Cancan also fulfilled her dream of winning the crown at home. She defeated Nicola Adams from England 14-10 to bring home the gold.
The 24-year-old controlled the match from the very beginning, ending it to get herself a third straight world title.
"I was happy to get the title," said Ren after the match. "I practised so hard for this moment."
"My next goal would be London Olympics. I am starting to analyse my opponents to face in London. It would be my glory to win something at the Olympics."
In the 75kg category, another class which would appear at the Olympics, England`s Savannah Marshall beat Elena Vystropova of Azerbaijan 17-15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`