Teacher’s Day: Mentors behind biggest sports personalities of India
Coaches are to sports persons what teachers are to students. A win for their protege is glory for them. Sports persons put in the toil, sweat and hard work to succeed; through thick and thin in this struggle for glory, it`s their coaches who also struggle with them helping them get better.
Teacher`s Day today as we hail teacher`s who have moulded and guided students a look at the teachers of some sports stars who have made a big name for themselves in their respective sport.
Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan`s birthday September 5 is the day India observes as Teacher`s Day.
The list below is of a few Indian stars who have shone in their respective field and their first coaches.
The world`s greatest batsman was moulded during his childhood by Ramakant Achrekar who was awarded the Dronacharya award, the Indian government`s greatest honour for a sports coach.
Achrekar taught the batting great the nuances of the game. Sachin`s batting prowess as he nears his 200th Test has astounded bowlers, coaches and captain`s around the world.
No doubt talented, the 40-year-old`s awesome game play has been moulded by his cricket teacher Achrekar.
As India`s top ranked badminton player Saina Nehwal carries the hopes of the country on her shoulders at every event she plays. Having won many titles on the badminton circuit, the 23-year-old`s greatest triumph was the bronze medal win at the London Olympics in 2012.
India`s former badminton player Pullela Gopichand has been coaching Saina and young hope PV Sindhu. Both players are immensely talented and many titles and medal are expected from them.
Winning the silver medal at the London Olympics after the bronze medal at Beijing before that, wrestler Sushil Kumar has emerged as India`s brightest star.
Behind the star is his coach, Satpal Singh in whose akkhada (gym) he trained with bronze medallist at London Olympics Yogeshwar Dutt. Singh a former wrestler, himself has also won gold and bronze medals at the Asian Games. He is also now, Sushil`s father-in-law.
One of India`s finest sprinters she is known as the `queen of Indian track and field` also nicknamed the `Payyoli Express`. Usha is a sports legend, a winner of multiple medals at the Asian Games and the first Indian woman to reach the final of an Olympic event.
Behind Usha, was OM Nambiar who won the Dronacharya award in 1985.
The Grand Master is a chess legend having won numerous world championships in the game. Anand is considered the strongest rapid player of his generation.
The chess player first learnt to play the game from his mother Susheela who he has on a number of occasions hailed for his prowess in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers