Team Chuck breaks NBA record to sink Team Shaq
Houston: Team Chuck beat Team Shaq for the second straight time by recording an NBA highest rookie challenge score of 163 at BBVA Rising Stars Challenge game.
The 163 points Friday was the best of all the rookie challenge games in NBA history. The previous best record was 155 points in 2007 and 2010, both set by Sophomore teams.
Denver Nuggets forward Kenneth Faried totalled 40 points, tying the second best of rookie challenge history, to take home the MVP reward.
"It feels wonderful. I did expect being here but I didn`t expect winning the MVP. Winning the MVP is an honour," said Faried, who was honoured with the "Player of the Week" this season.
Team Chuck did a outstanding job beyond the arch knocking down 17 out of their 32 3-point attempts to establish an early lead. Nine of the 10 Chuck team members harvested double figures. The only one left, 5-point Ricky Rubio of the Minnesota Timberwolves, dished out as many as 10 assists to his teammates, including a cross-knee pass leading to a beautiful dunk from Bradley Beal.
Kawhi Leonard and Tristan Thompson collected 20 points each, Iasiah Thomas contributed 18.
Last season first pick Kyrie Irving reproduced his hot hand, hitting 70 percent of his shots to top the Shaq team with 32 points. His one-and-one challenge against Brandon Knight was regarded as the most unforgettable scene in this year`s rookie challenge.
"More or less, that kind of rivalry with me and B. Knight has been happening since high school, since we started playing against each other. We were battling for the one and two spot in high school," said Irving about the competition against Knight.
Dion Waiters got team second 23 points for Shaq.
Shaq team rallied to 17-16 behind after a dunk by Damian Lillard but only to see three straight three-pointers for Chuck. The score got to 90-66 after the first half and Chuck team broke the half time scoring record of rookie challenge with 90 points.
The second half went on with the huge lead of the Chuck team. The rivalry between Irving and Knight became the most attractive scene. Chandler Parsons scored 13 points on home court, including the final dunk at the request of Rockets fans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted