Tel Aviv calls off marathon after runner`s death
Jerusalem: The Tel Aviv municipality announced it is cancelling the full marathon scheduled to take place on Friday, after the death of a runner at the half-marathon last week.
The health ministry warned that the hot weather forecast on Friday would pose a health risk for runners, therefore it called for the marathon`s cancellation.
On Friday, Michael Michaelovich, 29, passed away during a half-marathon and more than a dozen of Israelis have been hospitalised in serious conditions after running in a scorching heat of 34 degrees Celsius.
Overall 50 people were hospitalised. The majority of them were discharged throughout the weekend. There were 35,000 participants in the different tracks on Friday`s half-marathon.
The health ministry appointed a committee to examine the rules for holding sports events under hard weather conditions and is set to hand in its recommendations within the next three months.
Two years ago, a 42-year-old man died during the marathon suffering from hyperthermia and 15 people required medical attention with three of them sustaining serious injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical