Term of GoM on CWG extended

Last Updated: Sunday, November 6, 2011 - 23:22

New Delhi: The government has extended by two months the tenure of a Group of Ministers (GoM) looking into the alleged irregularities in the conduct of last year`s Commonwealth Games (CWG), official sources said.

The sources said that the decision was taken after receiving recommendations from the GoM seeking more time to scrutinise documents and decide the future course of action.

Defence Minister A. K. Antony heads the GoM. It includes Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, Law Minister Salman Khurshid and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma. Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V. Narayanasamy is a special invitee.

The GoM was constituted to examine the V.K. Shunglu committee reports on the alleged irregularities by different agencies in the preparations for the Games, held last October.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had constituted the ministerial panel in August to examine the findings of the high-level committee under the chairmanship of Shunglu, a former comptroller and auditor general, and asked it to submit its report within three months.

The GoM was asked to consider the responses of the union ministries, the Delhi government and its various agencies to the findings of the Shunglu committee reports.

The GoM has also been asked to recommend the course of action on each of the recommendations of the committee, which would include disciplinary, criminal and civil action against persons/agencies/contractors indicated in the reports and to recommend policies and guidelines for future conduct of similar events.

IANS



First Published: Sunday, November 6, 2011 - 23:22

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus