Thailand, Mexico win golds at World Taekwondo meet
Puebla (Mexico): Mexican Uriel Adriano lifted the men`s 74kg title while Chanatip Sonkham of Thailand won the women`s 49kg at the 2013 World Taekwondo Championships here.
Adriano brought Mexico its first gold at these Championships when he came back from 0-1 down to beat Russia`s Albert Gaun Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
"My dream has come true in a very perfect way, I always wanted to be world champion and I achieved for my country, today I want to thank everyone," said Adriano, who became the seventh Latin American taekwondo world champion in the event.
In the women`s 49 kg final, Chanatip Sonkham gave a lesson in taekwondo and defeated Jordan`s Dana Touran 13-0 in a fight that was one-sided from the beginning.
Sonkham said it was the happiest day of her life when winning the gold medal, adding that she wanted to stay at high level and win another gold in 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.
The 2013 World Taekwondo Championships opened Sunday night at the exhibition centre in Puebla, with the participation of 872 athletes from 134 countries and regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!