Thailand to use natural rubber in sports tracks
Bangkok: Thailand, the world`s largest rubber producer, plans to use natural rubber in construction of running tracks and field sports surfaces at over 700 stadiums to help rubber farmers hit by falling prices.
Sport Authority of Thailand (SAT) has been assigned by the Sport and Tourism Ministry to prepare plans for maximising the utilisation of natural rubber to help rubber farmers suffering from low prices for their product, SAT deputy governor Sakon Wannphong said.
The farmers in the country have been demanding subsidies to offset losses from falling world rubber prices.
The authority will buy natural rubber in large amounts to use it in construction of tracks and fields, Bangkok Post reported on Monday.
Under the terms of reference, private companies who win the bidding to build the tracks and fields have to pay the SAT around one million baht (around USD 32,000) for each stadium as the cost of the rubber. With this projection, the authority expects to earn over USD 22 million from this project.
If the project is approved, the authority has to consult the Department of Physical Education, Education Ministry and Interior Ministry, which supervise local sport stadiums across the country.
Thailand is the world`s largest producer and exporter of natural rubber, accounting for about 34 per cent of the global supply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister