The SAG Opening Ceremony impresses Gill
Dhaka: Impressed with the way Bangladesh
conducted the opening ceremony of the South Asian Games today,
Sports Minister M S Gill today said India could learn a few
things from it for the ensuing Commonwealth Games back home.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today declared
open the Games, which Gill termed as South Asia`s "Olympics".
Thousands of school students and Army men participated in
the gala ceremony which glimpsed the culture and heritage of
"It`s not easy task to bring more than 10,000 school
children, youth to put up such a show. There is something we
can learn from this ahead of the opening of the Commonwealth
Games on October 3," Gill, who was part of the dignitaries,
said after the ceremony.
Bangladesh proved its ability to organise such a big
sporting event in such a massive way. It also gave me an idea
how the opening ceremony is held," he added.
Gill also called for expansion of sporting relations
between India and Bangladesh.
"I am very happy to be here. It`s South Asia`s Olympics.
The competition is held among eight neighbouring countries in
a very friendly manner.
"In terms of bilateral relationship in sport, there is
much we can do together. We have an extensive coaching system
in place with SAI centres in Kolkata, Patiala and other
"We have sport college and academies and can expand
sporting relations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India