Thomas, Uber Cup Finals to be held in India
New Delhi: India will for the first time host badminton`s two premier events, the Thomas and the Uber Cup finals, later in 2013.
Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta Monday said "it is a proud moment for Indian badminton".
"I take great pleasure in announcing it to the media that the Thomas Cup and the Uber Cup will be held in India for the first time ever. This is a huge achievement for us and we will do our best to host these tournaments," said Das Gupta during the India Open conference here on Monday.
The Thomas Cup (Men`s World Team Championships) was first staged in 1948-49 while the Uber Cup (Women`s World Team Championships) was added in 1956-57.
The Thomas Cup, held every three years, was Badminton World Federation`s (BWF) first major international tournament.
The Uber Cup Finals have been held alongside the men`s competition since 1984 with both taking place biennially since then.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev