Thomas, Uber Cup Finals to be held in India
New Delhi: India will for the first time host badminton`s two premier events, the Thomas and the Uber Cup finals, later in 2013.
Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta Monday said "it is a proud moment for Indian badminton".
"I take great pleasure in announcing it to the media that the Thomas Cup and the Uber Cup will be held in India for the first time ever. This is a huge achievement for us and we will do our best to host these tournaments," said Das Gupta during the India Open conference here on Monday.
The Thomas Cup (Men`s World Team Championships) was first staged in 1948-49 while the Uber Cup (Women`s World Team Championships) was added in 1956-57.
The Thomas Cup, held every three years, was Badminton World Federation`s (BWF) first major international tournament.
The Uber Cup Finals have been held alongside the men`s competition since 1984 with both taking place biennially since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter