Thorpe reveals he spent much of life battling ‘crippling depression’
Sydney: Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe has claimed he has battled crippling depression throughout his life in his autobiography, and added that he had copious amounts of alcohol to battle his mood swings.
Thorpe opened up about his depression in the book, ‘This is Me: The Autobiography’, written with Robert Wainwright, and set to be released next month.
The champion swimmer also claims his fight with depression was very clandestine and even his family wasn’t aware of his problems.
“Not even my family is aware that I`ve spent a lot of my life battling what I can only describe as a crippling depression,” Thorpe was quoted as saying by a website.
While Thorpe said he was not an alcoholic, he admitted he began succumbing to alcohol as time went on.
“I used alcohol as a means to rid my head of terrible thoughts, as a way of managing my moods - but I did it behind closed doors, where many depressed people choose to fight their demons before they realise they can`t do it without help,” Thorpe writes.
“There were numerous occasions, particularly between 2002 and 2004 as I trained to defend my Olympic titles in Athens, that I abused myself this way - always alone and in a mist of disgrace,” he added.
“It`s taken me a long time to accept that being depressed wasn`t my fault and rising above it is actually a strength of character,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam