Thorpe says he expects to fail in Olympic bid
Sydney: Ian Thorpe, winner of five Olympic gold medals, doesn`t like his chances of making it six after a less than impressive return from a five-year retirement.
Thorpe said Wednesday he expects to fail in his attempt to make the Australian Olympic team for London 2012, admitting he may have made his return to competitive swimming too late.
A week before the Australian trials that will determine whether he qualifies for London, Thorpe told Australia`s Network Ten that he doesn`t have high expectations of making the team after modest results in lead-up events.
"The most realistic outcome of this is that I will most likely fail. ... I wish I had another six months to do this," he said in the television interview.
The 29-year-old Thorpe, who retired in November 2006 after setting 13 world records and winning 11 world championships gold medals, announced a comeback to competitive swimming nearly a year ago.
He won 200- and 400-meter freestyle golds at the 2004 Athens Olympics in his last major international meet.
In his first meets back from retirement, Thorpe struggled at short-course (25-meter pool) World Cup meets in Singapore, Beijing and Tokyo in November. That form was repeated in subsequent Olympic-distance races in Australia and Europe in the last three months.
"All of the expectation, that desire to see me do well, it exists for me in a way that it doesn`t exist for other people," Thorpe said.
He will contest the 100- and 200-meter freestyle events at the Australian trials in Adelaide starting March 15.
His most likely path to the games team is a top-six finish in the 200 meters, which could get him into the Australian 4x200-meter relay team for London.
"I wish I had another six months to do this," said Thorpe, who flew to Australia this week after a training camp in Switzerland. "I wish I had more time to do it.”
"I have to be swimming well. I have to be swimming fast as well in both of my races."
Australian head coach Leigh Nugent worked with Thorpe for several months before he announced his comeback. He has seen him train in Europe, watched him race in Asia and again earlier this year in Melbourne.
Nugent was in Perth on Monday to welcome Thorpe back from his European training schedule.
"He trained this morning for a couple of hours and physically he looks fantastic," Nugent said. "He`s probably in the best physical shape he`s been in the whole preparation he looks in pretty good trim.”
“For Ian, I think now it`s like: `I`ve done all that and this is a whole new ballgame now, I`m getting ready for the real deal.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow