Thousands of Cubans run in `Marathon of Hope`
Havana: Thousands participated in the traditional ‘Marathon of Hope’ in Havana, Cuba.
The Marathon of Hope pays tribute to young Canadian Terry Fox, who lost his right leg due to osteosarcoma. However, he ran with a prosthetic across Canada from coast-to-coast to collect funds and raise awareness on research against cancer.
The start signal was given by Radio Station Radio Reloj at 10 a.m. on Saturday. The funds collected by the event will be donated in benefit of researches against cancer, the second leading cause of death in the country in 2012.
The Marathon of Hope is held every year since 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list