Three Indians assured of medals at Cyprus boxing tourney
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Manoj Kumar and reigning national champion Mandeep Jangra led the charge as three Indian pugilists assured themselves of medals at the FXTM International Limassol Boxing Cup by entering the semifinals in Limassol, Cyprus.
The Indians, making their debut at the event, competed under the International Boxing Association (AIBA) flag due to the country`s provisional suspension but nonetheless made a strong statement at the event.
Manoj (64kg) defeated Frank Urquiaht of Spain in splendid fashion to advance into the semi-finals of the event. The 26-year-old dominated the bout and stunned the audience.
The Olympian went on to beat his Spanish rival 15-13. He will now take on Diaa Twafeek Mohamed of Egypt in the semis.
Mandeep (69kg) defeated Ahmad Al Naboudhe of Lebanon in a lop-sided contest that had to be stopped midway due to the Indian`s domination.
Meanwhile, playing his first international tournament, another national champion Jagroop Singh (81kg) put in a power-packed performance against Ahrahim Ibrahim from Egypt, who retired hurt in the second round.
All the three boxers are now assured of at least a bronze medal.
However, there was some disappointment as well with Olympic quarter-finalist L Devendro Singh (49kg) losing in his very first bout, against Fussi Mohamed of Algeria.
Pugilists from three continents and 10 countries, including Germany, Spain, Algeria, Egypt and Belgium are participating in the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster