Three Indians enter quarterfinals of Agalarov Cup
New Delhi: India started their campaign on a resounding note with three boxers winning their respective first round bouts to advance to the quarter-final stage of Agalarov Cup, an international youth tournament in Baku, Azerbaijan on Friday.
A Silambarasan (52kg), Kailash Gill (75kg) and Abhishek Beniwal (81kg) exhibited great skills to defeat their respective opponents.
Silambarasan, who recently won the gold at the 2012 Indo-Sri Lanka Duel Boxing championship in Colombo, went up against Kazimov Natig of Azerbaijan.
The 17-year-old dominated the proceedings from the word go and through all three rounds of action, his counter attacks did most of the damage.
The Azerbaijani boxer had no answer to the Superior tactics of Silambarasan. He went on to make his place in the round of eight of the fly weight category with an impressive score of 5-0.
In the middle weight division, Gill, the former Junior National Champion, made a stunning comeback from being down in the bout to overpower Farzali Taleh of Azerbaijan in what turned out to be a thrilling contest.
The first round went in favour of the host boxer, but the Indian came back strongly in the next two rounds to win 3-2. His strong right jabs and hooks being the most potent of his punches.
In the quarter-finals Kailash will take on Amir Chopurov of Georgia who scripted a striking performance in his opening round bout, knocking out his opponent in the first round itself.
In the light heavy weight category, Baneiwal too, was in sublime touch as he powered through into the round of eight with a stunning victory over Imnov Pasha, also form Azerbaijan.
The 18-year-old made full use of his long reaching arms and his hard hitting combinations to get the better of Pasha 5-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why