TN govt felicitates Dipika for winning Arjuna Award
Chennai: Country`s ace woman squash player Dipika Pallikal was on Saturday felicitated by the Tamil Nadu Government for winning the Arjuna Award.
Dipika, world ranked 14, received a plaque from N Vijayakumar, member secretary of the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu.
Felicitating Dipika, Vijayakumar said: "True kings and queens are made only in sports world and a sportsperson should aim to be just that."
Vijkayakumar said Dipika as well as her contemporary Joshna Chinnappa must aspire to become world champions.
"Joshna can still pull herself up. Injuries are common in a sportsperson`s career, he said.
"It`s only in sports that one can really become the king or queen winning at world level, not in politics."
On her part, Dipika thanked coach Cyrus Poncha and others, who had nurtured her since joining the Indian Squash Academy at the age of 10.
"On behalf of my team-mates and myself, I must say that we will endeavour to bring home a medal or two from Glasgow, the venue of the 2014 Commonwealth Games," Dipika said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site