TN govt felicitates Dipika for winning Arjuna Award
Chennai: Country`s ace woman squash player Dipika Pallikal was on Saturday felicitated by the Tamil Nadu Government for winning the Arjuna Award.
Dipika, world ranked 14, received a plaque from N Vijayakumar, member secretary of the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu.
Felicitating Dipika, Vijayakumar said: "True kings and queens are made only in sports world and a sportsperson should aim to be just that."
Vijkayakumar said Dipika as well as her contemporary Joshna Chinnappa must aspire to become world champions.
"Joshna can still pull herself up. Injuries are common in a sportsperson`s career, he said.
"It`s only in sports that one can really become the king or queen winning at world level, not in politics."
On her part, Dipika thanked coach Cyrus Poncha and others, who had nurtured her since joining the Indian Squash Academy at the age of 10.
"On behalf of my team-mates and myself, I must say that we will endeavour to bring home a medal or two from Glasgow, the venue of the 2014 Commonwealth Games," Dipika said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city