Today was India`s worst performance in Junior World Cup, says Clark
New Delhi: India finished a disappointing 10th in the Hero Junior Men`s Hockey World Cup after losing to arch-rivals Pakistan in the penalty shoot-out and chief coach Gregg Clark said it was the home team`s "worst performance" in the 16-team quadrennial event.
Pakistan finished ninth after beating India 4-2 in the one-on-one penalty shoot-out after both the teams were locked at 1-1 at the regulation time at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here Saturday.
Pakistan stunned the large home spectators in the seventh minute with a field goal from Rizwan Ali before Gurjinder Singh drew parity for India just four minutes from the hooter by converting the team`s second penalty corner.
"It was really a disappointing performance from the boys today. It is possibly our worst performance in the World Cup," a fuming Clark told reporters after the 9th-10th place classification match.
"We were not able to dribble the ball. Our defence, circle penetration and trapping was weak. We slipped on the quality of game execution and our strategy was not good either," he said.
He congratulated Pakistan and said India buckled under pressure in the home tournament.
"The team did not do justice to the game. Team was under pressure and did not handle it properly. There was lot of gap in the performance. Well done Pakistan. We couldn`t handle the pressure throughout the tournament," Clark said.
India captain Manpreet Singh was of the view that conceding early goals throughout the event cost them dearly.
"We missed a lot of chances. We were also guilty of conceding goals in the first 10 minutes in most of the matches. We need to work on these areas," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Lifestyle and home remedies to deal with panic attacks!
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody
- Beijing dodges ASEAN rebuke over South China Sea row
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in first half of 2016: UN
- Nepal likely to form consensus government within seven days of Oli resigning