Tokyo in celebratory mood as it wins bid to host 2020 Olympics
Tokyo: People in Tokyo rejoiced today as the city was chosen to host the 2020 Summer Olympics by the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires.
Close to 2,000 people watching a live broadcast of the IOC`s general session on a large screen at the Komazawa Olympic Park gymnasium erupted in cheers as IOC President Jacques Rogge opened the envelope holding the results of voting and read the city`s name at around 5:20 am.
"I was overwhelmed. I was on the verge of tears," said 20-year-old Minori Nakano of her reaction to hearing the announcement at the gymnasium, which was built for the wrestling competition at the 1964 Tokyo Games.
A moment later, gold ticker tape shot over the crowd, many of whom had spent the night there ahead of the vote by IOC members.
"I`ve been here since 10 o`clock last night because I didn`t want to miss the moment," said Sachiko Noguchi, 37.
"This is what we`ve been waiting for. The Olympic sites being built will be something to look forward to. I`m glad I live in Tokyo!" she said.
Tokyo beat Istanbul 60-36 in a runoff to decide the host city after topping the first round of balloting, which saw Madrid eliminated after the city lost to Istanbul in a tie break vote.
Tokyo will be the first Asian city to host the Olympics twice.
The 2020 Games will be the fourth Olympics to be staged in Japan, which also hosted the Winter Olympics in Sapporo in 1972 and Nagano in 1998. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday