Tokyo`s 2020 Olympic bid to include quake-hit area
Sendai: Tokyo`s bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics would include the three quake-battered northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima as host sites, Japanese Olympic Committee President has said.
Tsunekazu Takeda, upon a meeting with Miyagi Vice Governor Shuichi Miura in Sendai Saturday, said he wanted the 2020 Games in Tokyo to stand as "a symbol of recovery" from the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and the ensuing nuclear power plant crisis.
Takeda said he hoped the Tohoku region could join in on the organization of what would be Tokyo`s second Olympics by hosting soccer among other events.
"We want to help rehabilitate Japan through sports," said Takeda, who also visited an evacuation center on this day.
Miura was all for the three prefectures helping Tokyo with the hosting of the Games.
"The Olympics would be an opportunity like no other to show the world how we have recovered from the disasters," Miura said. "We want to support the movement as much as we can."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism - Part II
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh