Tokyo`s 2020 Olympic bid to include quake-hit area
Sendai: Tokyo`s bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics would include the three quake-battered northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima as host sites, Japanese Olympic Committee President has said.
Tsunekazu Takeda, upon a meeting with Miyagi Vice Governor Shuichi Miura in Sendai Saturday, said he wanted the 2020 Games in Tokyo to stand as "a symbol of recovery" from the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and the ensuing nuclear power plant crisis.
Takeda said he hoped the Tohoku region could join in on the organization of what would be Tokyo`s second Olympics by hosting soccer among other events.
"We want to help rehabilitate Japan through sports," said Takeda, who also visited an evacuation center on this day.
Miura was all for the three prefectures helping Tokyo with the hosting of the Games.
"The Olympics would be an opportunity like no other to show the world how we have recovered from the disasters," Miura said. "We want to support the movement as much as we can."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents