Top Indian squash players reluctant to tour Pakistan
New Delhi: Top Indian squash players including Dipika Pallikal and Saurav Ghosal have cited security risk as the main reason for not taking part in the Asian Championships beginning May 1 in Islamabad.
The event will be poorer without Dipika and Ghosal, who are ranked 15th and 19th, respectively, in the world rankings.
The other main players set to miss the event are Joshana Chinappa (World No.25), Siddharth Suchde (57) and Harinder Pal Sandhu (77).
"The way things stand as of now, I won`t be going there. All of us see security being an issue there. I would have loved to go had the event been elsewhere. I would have been the top seed," Ghosal said.
Besides Dipika, World No.1 Nicol David from Malaysia has also pulled out of the tournament and instead chosen to prepare for the prestigious British Open scheduled for May 20-26.
Dipika said her parents saw a security risk in Pakistan.
"Though the tournament is not important for the ranking point of view, I would surely gone in case it was organised elsewhere. We did want to risk going to Pakistan," the first Indian to break into world`s top-10, said.
Srivatsan Subramaniam of Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI), however, said they were yet to take a call on the issue. "We will tell you know shortly," he said, adding the participation in the event was very much a players` decision.
Earlier in the month, president of Pakistan`s Punjab Squash Association (PSA) Malik Amjad Ali Noon was quoted saying that India`s presence in the competition was not important.
"We know India is nothing against Pakistan in squash, so it doesn`t make any difference if they are not coming," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?