Top seed Chanda makes winning start
New Delhi: Top seed Sandipan Chanda defeated compatriot Rajesh Kumar Nath while second seed Aleksandrov Aleksej of Belaurs had an easy outing against local lad Pavit Singh as the 10th edition of Parsvnath International Open Grandmasters Chess Tournament began here on Sunday.
Almost all the seeded players, which include 19 Grandmasters, posted easy victories to advance to the second round with full points in their kitty.
Third seed Ukrainian Grandmaster Kravtsiv Martyn made short work of Shyam Shetye.
Among the Indian players, former national champions Grandmasters Abhijit Kunte and Praveen Thipsay started their tournament campaign on winning note as they defeated R Salini and Ravindra Dange respectively in the first round.
The surprises of the round came in the form of draws as International Masters Swapnil Dhopade and P Karthikeyan were denied victories by their lower-rated opponents -- SBV Nair and local youngster Sarthak Mahajan respectively in the opening round.
Rajesh Kumar Nath of India (1852) v/s GM Sandipan Chanda of India (2628)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested