Top seed Chanda makes winning start
New Delhi: Top seed Sandipan Chanda defeated compatriot Rajesh Kumar Nath while second seed Aleksandrov Aleksej of Belaurs had an easy outing against local lad Pavit Singh as the 10th edition of Parsvnath International Open Grandmasters Chess Tournament began here on Sunday.
Almost all the seeded players, which include 19 Grandmasters, posted easy victories to advance to the second round with full points in their kitty.
Third seed Ukrainian Grandmaster Kravtsiv Martyn made short work of Shyam Shetye.
Among the Indian players, former national champions Grandmasters Abhijit Kunte and Praveen Thipsay started their tournament campaign on winning note as they defeated R Salini and Ravindra Dange respectively in the first round.
The surprises of the round came in the form of draws as International Masters Swapnil Dhopade and P Karthikeyan were denied victories by their lower-rated opponents -- SBV Nair and local youngster Sarthak Mahajan respectively in the opening round.
Rajesh Kumar Nath of India (1852) v/s GM Sandipan Chanda of India (2628)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi