Top seeds enter pre-quarters of National TT
Siliguri: Top eight seeds in boys and girls sections sailed into the pre-quarters of the Indian Oil Junior and Youth National Table Tennis Championships at the Municipal Corporation Indoor Stadium here Saturday.
Reeth Rishya, who is the top seed in junior girls, was made to sweat by Kerala`s unseeded Seraha Jacob before the PSPB girl won 3-2 in the second round of the youth girls category.
Most of second round matches in youth boys section turned out to be just a formality. There were some tough ones too. Sanmay Paranjape of Maharashtra A struggled to beat Ravi Joshi of Gujarat 3-2, his teammate Shubhankar Renavikar overcame a strong Rohan Joshi from Madhya Pradesh, also winning 3-2, Karnataka`s Shreyal Telang downed Delhi`s Utkarsh Gupta 3-2 and West Bengal`s Sayantan Dey defeated Zubin Taraporewalla of Maharashtra B with identical scoreline.
In junior girls, Andhra`s Naina dropped a game but overcame a stubborn Jagruti Murbadkar of Maharashtra B to win 3-1. The Andhra girl also accounted for PSPBA`s Anona Agarwal 3-0 to enter the round of 16. PSPB-A`s Dwijal Trivedi struggled before beating Haryana`s Gunkirat 3-1 in the first round only to lose in the second to West Bengal`s Priyadarshani Das 3-2. Gujarat`s Frenaz Chipia overcame Andhra`s Akshi Sancheti in the decider.
The junior boys` matches had some elements of surprises when lesser-known players extended their better-known rivals.
West Bengal`s Pathikrit Roy had to fight his way back to move ahead with 3-2 victory against Karnataka`s Vedanth M Urs. So did Ravindra Kotiyan of Maharashtra -A against Shivam Singh for an 3-2 verdict. But the two were stopped in the second round by their opponents.
PSPBA`s Surojit Das had to play his best in the second round to outsmart a determined Asif Haque of Orissa 3-2. Teammate Birdie Boro allowed Bhavesh Apte of Chandigarh one game before wrapping it up 3-1 and Nishaad Shah of Maharashtra B trounced KR Rohit of Tamil Nadu in five games. Delhi `s Sabhaya Virmani lost to West Bengal`s Anirban Ghosh after leading 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks