Top seeds Hong Kong and China advance in Goa Sevens rugby
Panaji: Top seeds Hong Kong and China finished at the top of their respective pools after day one of the Goa Sevens Rugby tournament on Saturday.
Hong Kong finished with 89 points in its three pool matches, conceding just 14, while China posted 100 points against 17 allowed.
Hong Kong whitewashed Iran in its first match 41-0 before beating Singapore 26-7 and UAE 22-7 to complete its unbeaten opening run.
China posted a 50-nil win over UAE Shaheen, a development squad of Asian and Olympic Games qualified Emirati players, before handing hosts India its second loss of the day 24-5 and edging Kazakhstan 26-12 after being level at 12 points apiece at the half.
With the top spot in Pool B at stake, China’s player-coach Zhang Zhiqang, a veteran of many HSBC World Sevens Series tournaments entered the fray in the second half, immediately contributing to two tries that pushed China ahead for good at 26-12.
Hong Kong will face UAE Shaheen while China meet Singapore in quarter final tomorrow.
Kazakhstan, runners-up in Pool B will open tomorrow’s action against Iran while UAE, who finished as the runners-up in Pool A, will take on India tomorrow in another quarter final.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation