Top teams to compete in junior hockey meet
Chennai: Top-rung state teams and two institutional squads from Steel Plant and the Services would vie for honours in the fourth Hockey India Junior (U-19) national hockey championships for men, scheduled to be held from March 24 to April 6.
M Renuka Lakshmi, General secretary of Tamil Nadu units of Hockey India and organising secretary V Nandakumar, said at a press conference that for the first time the tournament would be held in a new format where the top 16 teams in the country were classified a `A` division (total four groups) and the remaining 19 teams were classified as `B` Division, to avoid one-sided matches.
As per the new format, the two teams that finish in the bottom of the `A` Division would be relegated to the `B` Division and the top two teams from `B` Division would be promoted to `A` Division next year.
Renuka Lakshmi said the tournament would be held in league-cum-knockout basis and the top teams from each group in both the division would qulaify for the semifinals. The `B` Division matches would conclude with the final on March 31.
The `A` Division final would be held on April 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read