Torch Relay for Sochi Winter Olympics braves storms
Athens: The Torch Relay of the Olympic Flame, which burns for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, braved storms in mainland Greece on Tuesday, as it continued its trip across the country ahead of the Oct 5 handing over ceremony in Athens.
The sacred Flame, lit Sunday at ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games, has already crossed Peloponnese peninsula and a major part of western and central, spreading the values of Olympism in each stop, as always.
Hundreds of people, in particular youth, have warmly welcomed it, cheering the torchbearers.
They flocked central squares defying the heavy downpours and strong winds which have hit the Flame`s path since Monday evening, causing minor damages, including power outages and floods of stores and homes.
Organisers of the Greek leg of the Relay from the Hellenic Olympic Committee were not worried about the weather conditions.
"Put the flame in the hearts and spread its message, especially to young children who are close to us," Chairman of the Olympic Torch Relay Commission Ioannis Karras stressed at each stop.
On Tuesday evening, on the third day of the Relay, the Olympic Flame was expected to reach the city of Katerini in northern Greece where it will stay overnight.
On Saturday Greeks will pass the sacred Light to the Russian organizers of the February 7-23 Winter Olympics during a ceremony at Panathinaikon stadium in Athens, where the first modern Olympic Games were held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason